Saturday, May 6, 2017

Change

As a 17 year old kid I have already dealt with tons of change. Whether it be new schools, new living arrangements, and even new family members. I have come to realize that there is both good and bad change. I would define good change as the act of making something different that you have purposefully done. I would define bad change as the act of making something different that you did not intend to do and or want to happen. I have always enjoyed change, however their have been times where I've wanted life to just stay the same. Now I know other kids have had tougher lives than mine but I still like to acknowledge the "bad" change in my life. This would include the new family. So my parents got divorced. Now I know what your thinking, "oh Travis I'm sorry to hear" well don't be I don't really care about the divorce. Besides I know tons of kids who's parents got divorced and they live just fine. While I would have preferred my parents stay together it didn't workout so that's their problem not mine. The problem that I have is now there are more people that care about me which means more people I have to please. While I am glad that people care about me I have to go out of my way to keep more people in the "loop" of my life, and give my time and love equally amongst everyone so I don't look like a jerk. Now because of the divorce my mom ended up moving in with her boyfriend who is now my stepfather. I love my stepdad however because my mom moved in with him my brother, sister, and I also moved in with him. This change of living arrangements has really gotten to me. Now how we all live in my opinion is not enjoyable it is only "functional". I'll give you an answer example of this. Due to the amount of people who live in the house which is now up to seven we have had to use space efficiently. So I pose this question to you: what is the best way to sleep people when you don't have that much space? The answer plan and simple bunk beds. This is a genius invention cause it minimizes the space needed to sleep multiple people. However, guess who gets to sleep on the bunk beds? Not my mom, stepdad, or sister. I get the short straw along with my brother and we have to utilize the bunk beds. As I have previously stated I am 17. 17 years old and still sleeping in a damn bunk bed like what the hell! Again I know other kids have it worse off then me but still this really gets to me. I didn't ask to move in with a stranger, but hey you got to make the best of it right? So that's what I do. I simply tolerate the functionality of my living arrangements. But now it is finally all over! I found away to get out! I will be free of that cursed bunk bed in just a few months. Now here is where the good change that I am so ready for I can taste it! In just a few months I will be going to live on campus at the University of Delaware. Here I will be given the freedom to pick and chose what I do. Well that's how I imagine it and hopefully it is everything I dream it to be. I will have a room with friends and no bunk bed. When I am given the opportunity to do something I won't have to answer to my mother. I will be able to just do me and I can't wait. I know there will be work to be done both school related and work work related but bring it on. I'm ready for this change.

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate this post more than you could ever imagine; however, you may have bunk beds in your dorm....

    ReplyDelete